A one-day seminar on “Data Driven Agriculture” was held on 12th October 2016 at the International Tropical Fruits Network (TFNet) Headquarters, organized by TFNet in cooperation with the Malaysian Ministry of Agriculture and Agro-Based Industry, PESSL Instruments, GEOSYS International, Elite Scientific Instruments, Universiti Putra Malaysia, and Crops for the Future Research Centre.
The seminar discussed how data on agriculture and technology can help in decision-making and development of projects towards improvements in production and trade, agriculture risk management, and mitigating effects of disasters. Specifically, participants were informed on the latest technology for agriculture data management, how technology can assists in research, farm management, extension, and marketing, and provide a platform for networking.
The presentations are as follows:
1. Welcome Message and Precision Farming for Sustainable Agriculture
Dr. Desa Hassim, International Tropical Fruits Network
2. The Internet of Things and the Data Revolution in Agriculture
Mr. Vishnu Nair, PESSL Instruments
3. Satellite Based Crop Monitoring, Big Data and Where it is Taking us
Mr. Jim Castles, GEOSYS International
4. Big data and knowledge systems for agricultural diversification
Mr. Ebrahim Jahanshiri, Crops for the Future Research Centre
5. Rapid Nutrition Mapping System for Paddy Field in Malaysia & Drone Demonstration
Mr. Ezrin Husin, Universiti Putra Malaysia